Escape the Room Games

Friday, January 25, 2008

Sundance 2008 Day 6: The Critics Battle and Larry Bishop - SendMeRSS

Sundance 2008 Day 6

Thursday, when I'm actually writing this recap, is the official 7th day of the fest. That means it's been a full week since we started screening movies in Park City, Utah, and I'll admit - it's starting to blur together. At least, some of the bad movies are… With 24 movies already behind me in only 7 days time, things are starting to fade away in my memory. Most people don't even see 24 movies in a year, and I've seen that many in one week's time! But this is Sundance, that film festival that I love with all my heart. And when it ends in three more days, January will be over - imagine that, and entire month over before I even knew it began!

Although I love Sundance, one of the aspects that has been annoying me recently is the ongoing battle between critics regarding movies. There is a group of other internet friends I often run into and the first question I ask whenever I see them is always "what did you see?" and then "was it any good?" What has happened is that it's gone from appreciating the other person's review and opinions to exclaiming they're "wrong" or "incorrect" in their view on the movie.

This all too often happens with my own thoughts on movies here. A few of my friends (let's not name names) see something and, for example, call it a boring pile of crap. Where I see it and I love it. Now instead of looking at my side of the equation and saying, you know, he can like it for his own personal reasons, they attack me trying to point out the big issues with the movie and saying there is "no way" that this is good. In essence, he is trying proving that my opinion is wrong, incorrect, or full of crap. Why can't I have my own opinion? It's not wrong, it's just what I think! No matter what, someone will love every movie - as in, no movie will go without someone hating or someone loving it. And this time around, I loved it!

Alex Billington and Larry BishopAnyway, back to the better side of Sundance. On Wednesday I got to interview Hell Ride's writer/director/star Larry Bishop as well as Michael Madsen. It was a true honor to interview both and that's not even the half of it. That glowing 9.5 out of 10 review I wrote for Hell Ride had already circulated through The Weinstein Company and into Larry Bishop's hands. When I met him he asked "you're the guy who wrote that 9.5 review?!" and proceeded to thank me. You're welcome Larry, I absolutely fuckin' loved your movie! Anyway, I had a great time interviewing both Larry and Michael and I'm sure you'll see both of those interviews up here in a couple of days.

Although Sundance is winding down, I'm still trying to keep the energy high all the way through Sunday. I have an interview with The Wackness director Jonathan Levine in a few minutes today, and still have a few more directors I'm trying to interview before they head home. One more thing I love about Sundance - the women! I don't know what it is, but I love women in Uggs, tight jeans, and form-fitting winter jackets. But please, no hats. I am in love with that style and there are some very good looking women who pull it off wonderfully here at Sundance. Oh, how I love the winter!

Sundance 2008 Review List:

FRIDAY (JAN 18)
In Bruges - 8.5/10
The Yellow Handkerchief - 5/10
The Wackness - 9/10
Sunshine Cleaning - 6.5/10

SATURDAY (JAN 19)
Blind Date - 3/10
The Great Buck Howard - 8/10
Sleep Dealer - 5.5/10
Otto; or Up with Dead People - 0/10

SUNDAY (JAN 20)
Be Kind Rewind - 8/10
Smart People - 9/10
Pretty Bird - 7/10
Chronic Town - 7/10

MONDAY (JAN 21)
Phoebe in Wonderland - 8/10
Sugar - 8/10
Choke - 7.5/10
Hell Ride - 9.5/10

TUESDAY (JAN 22)
Where in the World is Osama bin Laden? - 7/10
Death in Love - 4/10
Baghead - 9/10
The Escapist - 9/10

WEDNESDAY (JAN 23)
Mysteries of Pittsburgh - 8.5/10
Sleepwalking - 5/10
Assassination of a High School President - 9/10
Funny Games - 8/10

Discover More: Sundance 08

Link - Comments - Alex Billington - Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:58:58 GMT - Feed (2 subs)
User comment: By: Alex Billington
They're on their way Ryan... I'm actually sitting in Burger King writing the Assassination of a High School President and Funny Games reviews right now! If I had more time I'd get the rest up but I'm always either in a movie or traveling to a movie...
User comment: By: Ryan
HURRY UP ON YOU REVIEWS FOR 'BE KIND, REWIND' 'ASSASINATION OF A HIGH SCHOOL PRESIDENT' 'WHERE IN THE WORLD IS OSAMA BIN LADEN' 'SLEEPWALKING' AND ESPICALLY 'FUNNY GAMES'!!!!!!!!! Man, I am SO envious of you right now.
User comment: By: Heckle
Does michael madsen walk around with the "Stuck in the middle with you" song playing in the background? Cause he should. Love that scene.
Visit here to subscribe to comments
Sent using SendMeRss.com.
Visit here to unsubscribe from HypeCast.
Recommended Feeds/Actions

0 comments:

 
Información Legal