Escape the Room Games

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Chris Pine Talks Briefly About Playing Captain Kirk in Star Trek - SendMeRSS

Star Trek

After the big Star Trek casting fiasco last October, it's now 100% confirmed that Chris Pine is playing Captain James T. Kirk in J.J. Abrams' Star Trek. With the release of the official teaser trailer this past weekend, the buzz on the film is quite high at the moment, and Entertainment Weekly couldn't pass up asking Chris Pine about the film while he was at Sundance. Although he didn't (and couldn't) say much about the movie, which is currently filming, Chris Pine did provide a great update considering there hasn't been much from him so far.

From EW's interview with Chris Pine, who was out promoting Bottle Shock at Sundance, here are the three responses relating to Star Trek. Instead of cutting them down, I thought real Star Trek fans would be interested in hearing every word Chris Pine has to say, as it's all quite relevant.

Are you feeling any pressure to evoke William Shatner?
I actually feel the exact opposite. I think the biggest mistake I could ever do would be to try to re-create what Mr. Shatner did. There are certain qualities that Kirk has that are vital for someone who is a leader of men. And those qualities, I definitely wanted to take from what Mr. Shatner did in the original series. But my job is to take something new, to take that and build upon it, really do my own thing. I just feel no pressure when it comes to that.

Is the pressure coming more from the fanboys and their off-the-charts expectations?
Yeah, sure, the Internet is not my friend in this case. Best to stay away. I can understand, I don't have that many credits and people are very worried that their Kirk is going to be destroyed. But I can only say that we're having a great time. J.J. [Abrams, the director] has been wonderful and the cast is phenomenal. I think what we're doing is very special.

Have you talked with Shatner?
I have not talked to Shatner. I wrote him a letter early on in the process and corresponded that way. I got a letter back from him, which is very nice. And I've met Mr. Nimoy a couple of times. He's been on set and we have a couple of scenes in the film, which will be nice, and I'm excited for those.

Although not everyone is excited for Star Trek, I have absolutely full confidence in J.J. Abrams. Although Chris Pine was definitely not my first choice to play Kirk in my mind, I have faith that J.J. Abrams knows what he is doing by putting him in that lead role. It sounds like he's having a great time and things are going well, which is a good sign for everyone. As is the case with every movie that has fanboys, it will get attacked. And I think Chris is right, it's best for him not to be concerned with the often ridiculous complaints and just go along making the movie that J.J. Abrams is crafting.

Star Trek is directed by J.J. Abrams (of "Lost" and Mission: Impossible III) and written by Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci (of The Island, Mission: Impossible III, Transformers). The film is the 11th movie in the Star Trek universe. Star Trek arrives in theaters on Christmas Day - December 25th, 2008.

Discover More: Hype, Movie News

Link - Comments - Alex Billington - Tue, 22 Jan 2008 03:45:31 GMT - Feed (2 subs)
User comment: By: grendel
I get the feeling this will be more of an action film than the controversial thought provoker of the original Star Trek cast. Any one else?
Visit here to subscribe to comments
Sent using SendMeRss.com.
Visit here to unsubscribe from FirstShowing.net.
Recommended Feeds/Actions

0 comments:

 
Información Legal