Step Up 2 the Streets (Disney) appears to have edged Fox’s big budget Jumper on Thursday, although technically, it’s a bit too close ro call the race definitively. The urban dance sequel has averaged an estimated $2,500 per location on its opening day for what looks to be a $6.175M total. The big budget sci fi/adventure flick starring Hayden Christensen and Samuel L. Jackson meanwhile has grabbed an estimated $6.03M Valentine’s Thursday for a softer $1,775 or so per screen.
The unusual Valentine’s Day kickoff to a 5-day weekend that includes President’s Day has provided a perfect opportunity for Fool’s Gold (Warner Bros) to jump-start its 2nd week as the Matthew McConaughey/Kate Hudson romantic comedy/action hybrid delivered another $3.42M, a 3rd place finish. Gold’s 7-day total is just shy of $30M.
2 new releases occupy the #4 and #5 spots. The well-reviewed Ryan Reynolds romantic comedy Definitely Maybe (Universal) has gotten off to a disappointing start with an estimated $2.78M or $1,276 per location. Paramount’s fantasy film The Spiderwick Chronicles rounds out the top 5 with $2.21M or so. With an expected surge in family business Saturday, Sunday and Monday, Spiderwick should finish no worse than 3rd in the competitive 5-day frame.
EXCLUSIVE FANTASY MOGULS EARLY VALENTINE’S DAY ESTIMATES
1. Step Up 2 the Streets (Disney) - $6.175M - $2,500 PTA - $6.175M cume
2. Jumper (Fox) - $6.03M - $1,775 PTA - $6.03M cume
3. Fool’s Gold (Warner Bros) -$3.42M - $1,095 PTA - $28.8M cume
4. Definitely Maybe (Universal) - $2.78M - $1,265 PTA - $2.78M cume
5. The Spiderwick Chronicles (Paramount) - $2.21M - $575 PTA - $2.21M cume
6. Welcome Back, Roscoe Jenkins (Universal) - $1.9M - $798 PTA - $20.1M cume
7. Juno (Fox Searchlight) - $840,000 - $451 PTA - $119.5M cume
8. The Bucket List (Warner Bros) - $785,000 - $340 PTA - $76.9M cume
9. The Eye (Lionsgate) - $745,000 - $350 PTA - $23.1M cume
10. 27 Dresses (Fox) - $665,000 - $348 PTA - $66.8M cume
11. Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds (Disney) - $525,000 - $766 PTA - $55.1M cume
12. There Will Be Blood (Paramount Vantage) - $365,000 - $259 PTA - $27.9M cume
Read More at Fantasy Moguls.