Escape the Room Games

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

DreamWorks Aquires Ghost in the Shell

Ghost In The Shell 004It looks like the live action adaptations of cartoons are going to continue with Ghost In The Shell. We get wind of this news thanks to the professionals at Variety:

DreamWorks has acquired rights to the Japanese manga “Ghost in the Shell” with plans to adapt the futuristic police thriller as a 3-D live-action feature. Story follows the exploits of a member of a covert ops unit of the Japanese National Public Safety Commission that specializes in fighting technology-related crime. Created by Masamune Shirow, “Ghost in the Shell” was first published in 1989. It went on to generate two additional manga editions, three anime film adaptations, an anime TV series and three videogames. The second anime film, “Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence,” was released in the U.S. by DreamWorks in 2004.

Avi Arad, Ari Arad and Steven Paul of Seaside Entertainment are attached to produce and brought the project to the studio. Jamie Moss has been tapped to pen the adaptation.

I saw half of Ghost In The Shell years ago and have been meaning to watch it again in its entirety. I am a robot/cyborg enthusiast and this film looks to be a celebration of all these things. I know the film is beloved by many and looks to be one of the most talked about manga of all time.

Avi Arad is on board to produce and Jamie Moss (who recently wrote Street Kings) has been tapped to write the film. I cannot say I am comforted with this news. I have never forgiven Arad for the storm cloud (nor will I ever) and I have nothing against Moss, but I would certainly prefer a seasoned sci fi veteran to pen this project. People love this story and it should be adapted with the utmost care and talent.

I love that this film will be 3-D because I go ga ga for the medium. I am uncertain that this story will be better as a live action piece as opposed to a cartoon however. I can see the need for a ton of CGI and if that is the case, I wonder if realism is just a waste of resources. If they are able to make crazy cyborg prothesis, and an android laboratory however, my tune will change quickly. Robot labs have all the charm of a doll maker’s shop; only the creations in the robot shop may surpass the ability of the creator when the switch is thrown.

International friends - are you interested in seeing a live action Ghost In The Shell film; or would you prefer them to leave well enough alone?

0 comments:

 
Información Legal