Escape the Room Games

Friday, March 21, 2008

Simon Pegg Says He’s Signed On For Three ‘Star Trek’ Films - So Why Did He Almost Say ‘No’?

Simon PeggImagine the coolest email possible and you probably can’t top the one that Simon Pegg once received from “Star Trek” director J.J. Abrams. “I got off a plane and switched my blackberry on. It had an email from J.J. and it just said, ‘Do you want to be Scotty?’ That was it!” Pegg recalled to MTV News about how he received the offer to reprise James Doohan’s iconic role in the film.

Pegg admitted that his first reaction was fear, namely fear of commitment. “I said, ‘What am I going to do?’ I thought about it for a bit because you have to commit to a series of films and that puts you in a situation where the studio has some control over what you do. I called up J.J. and I said, ‘the idea is amazing but I'm worried.’ And he said, ‘what's the worst that can happen? We hang out every three years and make a fun film?’”

Pegg said he’s signed on for three potential Trek films but don’t get too jealous. He didn’t get many souvenirs. “I would have loved to have taken a phaser or a tricorder or even my Starfleet academy ring but sadly they hold onto that,” he sighed.

As for his take on the famous Scot, Pegg was repectful of the actor who came before him. “I didn't want to go in there and do an impression of James Doohan. His Scotty is so definitive. So I decided to just channel my wife's family and do something that was a tribute to him but not an attempt to ape him.”

Pegg of course was mum on plot details but it seems like we know that they at least let Scotty out of the engine room in this big screen adventure. Asked about his “Shaun of the Dead” collaborators and friends, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright, Pegg recalled, “[They] both came when I was on the bridge. I felt pretty self-conscious.”

Consider my phaser set to thrilled that Pegg is in this flick? What do you think? Will his Scotty live up to Doohan’s legacy?

0 comments:

 
Información Legal